Thinking of buying a new furnace or replacing your old one? How much do you know about furnaces? Don’t worry. We are about to take a knowledge trip together. The first step in getting a good furnace is knowing the fuel that your furnace uses. There are three types of fuel used in fairfax furnaces; gas, oil, and electricity. If you live in Fairfax you are likely to have come across either electric or gas furnaces.
Gas furnaces, fairfax furnaces
In a gas furnace, natural gas is combusted and the heat produced is used to warm air in pipes inside the ventilation system. The warm air is then distributed across the house. Some gas furnaces heat water instead of air, turning the water into steam. The steams is then distributed using coils. Gas furnaces have the following advantages;
• Relatively cheaper than oil
• Gas is readily available in most jurisdictions
• If you live in Fairfax you can have your natural gas delivered through the area’s natural gas service lines
• Better in heat production efficiency than electricity since it produces more heat per quotient.
• In optimally maintained furnaces have cheaper maintenance costs than oil
On the other hand, gas furnaces have the following cons:
• High installation costs due to the inclusion of chimneys and regulators
• Are you an environmentalist? They might not be the right choice for you.
• Heat retention and utilization efficiency in gas furnaces is normally lower than electric furnaces.
Oil furnaces are the least common choice of all Fairfax furnaces. They function in a similar fashion as gas furnaces.
They offer the following advantages over the other two;
• Oil furnaces cost less than gas furnaces but are still more expensive than electric furnaces.
• Oil furnaces produce more heat than gas and electric furnaces.
On the downside;
• Oil furnaces have a lesser heat retention and utilization rate than the other furnaces
• Have high installation costs
• Oil furnaces require a lot of service and filter changes
• Of all Fairfax furnaces, they are the most technical for DIYers
• Require a site storage depot and deliveries which add to the expense of use
• Due to reliance on global market rates, the price of oil can be quite erratic
Electric furnaces depend on resistors to heat air in the furnaces. The heated air is dispersed throughout the house using the vent ducts. Of all the furnaces available electric ones are the most versatile and can be found in more forms than the other two. Apart from versatility they have the following advantages;
• The furnaces absorb and utilize almost all the heat produced.
• They are easier and cheaper to install
• They have low maintenance costs.
• Of all the Fairfax furnaces has, electrical ones are the most environmentally friendly
• They are also safer, with lesser chances of accidents such as explosions
• Have longer lifespan than the other two
Despite the numerous advantages they carry the following drawbacks
• They produce low heat which makes them more unsuitable for cold seasons.
• Operation costs can be high due to the, at times, high expensive cost of electricity
From the schedule above you may deduce that electric furnaces are more efficient. Under an optimal scenario that is the case. The optimal scenario being your choice of the furnace, its installation, and the ventilation setup. To create this optimum scenario it is advisable to use a reliable furnace installation contractor such as Air-Tech Systems Inc.
If you do need a furnace installed or replaced, do not ponder so much on it. Give us a call or email us. We promise to be at your doorstep as fast as you may require us.